Translate

Friday, July 26, 2013

A different kind of Pizza Night with Lukas

I'm not sure that I've ever made a blog post with no photos.

It was one of those impromptu get-togethers that turned out to be something special.  Dinner with my sweetie and a dear friend I haven't spent any significant time with in years... (not for lack of want-to)

We didn't have a plan, my house wasn't clean, I hadn't shopped or sketched out a menu... nothing.

It was really a perfect evening, we all got in the kitchen together and came up with a WONDERFUL collaboration that I really wish I'd had the presence of mind to photograph because we WILL be making this again!  But though the food was great, tonight wasn't about that.  It was about catching up with an old friend, not so much reminiscing as sharing all the new and beautiful things going on in our lives and reaffirming an old bond.  Not to mention great food and good music.  I knew Dane and Lukas would hit it off well, and they did.  They probably have a lot more in common than I do with either of them...  ;-)

But hey, since this is my kitchen diary...
I will sketch out a recipe of sorts to jog my memory the next time I want to make this, what shall we call it, a pizza roll up  I guess.

Pizza Roll-Ups ala Lukas  (makes 2)

2 pkg Pillsbury Crescent Roll Seamless Dough Sheets
1# Farmland 'Pork & Bacon' Pork Sausage (crumbled and browned)
1 8oz brick of cream cheese
couple of large spoonfuls of my Homemade Giardineira
drizzle of EVOO
(salt/pepper/fresh basil chopped/oh and 4 or 5 cloves of garlic-minced)
Thin sliced zucchini
Mozzarella cheese - shredded

Preheat oven to 350.
In a med sized bowl mix up the cream cheese, giardiniera, garlic, spices and herbs. Add EVOO enough to make it easily spreadable.  Divide into two parts and spread over the crescent dough sheets.  Top with the zucchini and the crumbled sausage. When my back was turned Dane also sprinkled on some more giardiniera...  Good move sweetie!  Top it all with a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese.  Roll up from the short end and place the 2 pizza rolls on a large cookie sheet or baking pan.  Bake until golden brown and let stand for a bit before slicing and serving.

I served this with a standard of ours, Ginger Sodas:
(we have a gajillion variations on this!)

In a large glass put a couple scoops vanilla ice cream.
Pour some ginger-ale over it.  When it fizzes up nicely,
drizzle in a bit of Key Lime Juice.
Pour in more ginger-ale and serve.

Thanks for stopping by Lukas!  When my kitchen was still just a rough concept in my mind, before we had knocked out the first wall, this was the very sort of activity I had envisioned taking place there.  Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing the evening with us.

I love you friend...


No comments:

Post a Comment