Translate

Saturday, July 20, 2013

"Cauliflower Burgers? Really?"

That's what my husband said when I told him that's what I was making for breakfast.
"They'll be delicious", I shot back  Hmmmmpf.....

We've had the best cauliflower this year, HUGE beautiful white heads.  I used one monster head to make a nice gardiniera a couple days ago, and blanched and froze some but I really wanted to use some fresh from the garden this morning.  There was just one small problem...

My hubby informs me as I was moving about the kitchen slowly, gathering ingredients, that he needed to roast coffee...  as in there was NO coffee!  That is a major crisis at our house.  We could even be accused of being coffee snobs.  Yes, I'm spoiled, my man roasts our coffee and grinds it fresh each morning, usually while I am still in bed playing with the kitties. :-)


This in itself could be the reason for the mis-adventure which followed. Operating in the kitchen without having had my morning coffee!

The cauliflower cooked up nicely, I mashed it and added a nice big helping of the gardiniera and grated in some yummy Fontiago (a nice blend of Fontina and Asiago) so far, so good. I'd browned a couple of slices of bacon to top my 'burgers' with and of course to have the bacon fat to fry them in!
 As I started shaping the burgers I had a bit of difficulty getting them to hold their shape, I figured I'd remedy that by adding a bit more cheese, perhaps a little Parmesan?  The olive oil in my gardiniera made my hands a little slippery and the next thing I knew my burger was on the floor along with one of my favorite plates!  Arghhhhh!!! (that may not be exactly what I said...)

Dane of course chooses that moment to run in and offer to 'get that for me' with the shop vac?!?  Why is it guys always want to 'get that' with the shop vac???  That's a whole 'nother blog in itself...!  In the mean time, when I politely refuse, he goes in to fire up his computer and finds he has no power.  He then unplugs the extension running to the computer room and plugs the vacuum cleaner in its place nearly causing me to jump out of my skin! Well, the outlet works, the breaker is not tripped, but in the resulting confusion I smell something burning!

Ahhhhh! $#*@%! It's the pan in which I had been melting some butter in which to grill my onion buns...  Yep, by this time I'm starting to get a bit flustered!

At least my burgers aren't burning...  They also aren't holding their shape very well either.  I can the 'burger' idea and decide to get them on a plate and get something in our stomachs before somebody gets hurt!

It actually turned out to be a very tasty breakfast hash of sorts which we gobbled down in a big hurry.  Yep, good enough to make it again on purpose...  minus all the theatrics!  Dane promised me as soon as he finished roasting the coffee he would take me down to Bullwinkle's and get some coffee in us for real.  Good husband that he is, he kept his word and the prince and the princess lived happily ever after on their cozy little 40 acres...







4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, thank God there are other coffee places within 50 miles! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bout 6 miles down the road... could've ridden our bikes but thought it best not to chance it! LOL!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Dane, "Cauliflower Burgers? Really?" I'm sure it tastes better than it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe! it does sound kinda gross, definitely better than it sounds. He musta liked it though, he copied me (or tried his own version) three times since! LOL

      Delete